Monday, April 9, 2012

Four months

Four months ago the wife and I welcomed our first baby into our lives and little Kenadie took her first breath. I've written at length the emotions and adrenaline surrounding that fateful day, and really, I don't have the skills as a writer to truly express all of what was going on in my head and in my heart. Our little bundle came to us and we couldn't be happier. Remember your first love in high school, when you swore you would never love anyone more than your sweetheart, but then you meet your spouse, and you promised them that no one will take up more of your heart than them, and suddenly you're faced with a little baby in your arms, and you suddenly know the meaning of love and sacrifice.

Having a baby is not all wine and roses. It's hard work, it demands you function 100% on very little sleep, can strain your marriage, and you see your bank account dwindle to next to nothing, but as they say, nothing good comes easy. Yes the work is worth it, and I don't have to keep telling that to myself to keep me sane. It's those little moments that make it so much fun, as Kenadie lies on my chest and fights sleep and she gives her glowing smile when you're making silly noises. There's no substitute for a healthy, happy little one. Nothing can match it.

And now, as she fusses and poops and demands attention I find myself happy to give it to her. She's my daughter, and everything is about her.

"Anything I've done up till May 27th 1999 was kind of an illusion, existing without living. My daughter, the birth of my daughter, gave me life." - Johnny Depp

No comments:

Post a Comment