Wednesday, April 4, 2012

There's No Place Like Home...


April 3, 2012 was a scary day for North Texas.  What started out as a normal day turned into a nightmare for some.  My alarm went off @ 4:30a.m. as usual.  I got up, got ready for work and headed into the office.  Erik took Kenadie by to my mom's house and he headed into work @ 7a.m. All is going swell until it starts to get dark outside and we hear that some severe weather is approaching the DFW metroplex.  We think of it as a normal spring storm that may or may not have some hail and it will all be over in 30 mins.  I call my mom to tell her to keep an eye on the weather just in case something severe may happen.  All of a sudden, the alarms at work went off and the man over the PA announced that we all need to take cover in the designated tornado safe areas.  We all went into the conference room away from any glass windows.  We all sit, wait and wonder.  I was a nervous wreck as we are watching online as the tornadoes hit Arlington, Lancaster, and were headed towards my mother's house.  My baby girl was with her and I was more worried about them than myself.  I just felt helpless that I couldn't be there with her in case something bad happens.  I knew though that if Erik and I couldn't be with her, she was in the best hands possible.  I call my mom and she has Kenadie in her car seat drinking a bottle with the crib mattress over their heads in the closet.  I was giving her a play by play of what was happening.  There were reports of tractor trailers being thrown 100ft in the air like toy Tonka Trucks.  It was scary.  The man on the PA system came back on and told us "We are now clear to return to our work areas".  We all asked, now or not?  The alarms were still going off, so we weren't sure.  They repeated it several times and finally we went back to our desks.  About 30 mins later, the alarms went off again, and we went into the conference room.  The second storm was coming in our direction.  We waited it out until the storm passed and then returned to our desks and went home.  I was so happy to pick up my little angel and know that she was safe from mother nature's wrath.  I get home and Erik and I look at the news and hear that another town, Forney was hit pretty hard.  I know a lot of people who live in Forney.  The day after, they reported between 12-15 tornadoes developed yesterday and so far no deaths were reported.  Lots of Angels were watching over DFW yesterday.  This could have ended up a lot worse than it did.  As I crawled into bed last night I said a prayer for all the people that lots their homes.  It really makes you realize what is important in life and to treasure each day that you are alive on this earth and to treasure the people you have in your life.  I love my family and friends, I am glad we are all ok. 

Link below is footage of the trailers:





1 comment: