Friday, February 24, 2012

Date night

It's been a couple of months since Kenadie was born, and the wife and I have done little if anything for ourselves. I try to get a few moments of gaming and watching movies in ten minute increments in, but I haven't really spent any quality time with the wife other than watching bad sitcoms and taking care of the wee one at some unholy hour.

It was time to indulge ourselves, and indulge we did. We went to a premier steak house and ordered accordingly, along with some real crab cake that wasn't fried. It was a mountain of crab in some lobster sauce. We partook in the best cheesecake I've ever had, light and fluffy, with butterscotch dripping off of it and flavored with pralines.

Watching my wife consume an alcoholic drink was a treat. This is a woman who hasn't really drank in almost a year, for obvious reasons, and she ordered an extra dirty vodka martini, straight up. She was buzzed about halfway through it. I drank the same, the first martini I've had in months, and it was a pleasure to revisit one of my favorite cocktails. Of course I had to order a bloody Caesar as well.

After consuming what seemed like seventeen thousand calories, we still would've done it again in a heartbeat as it was one of the best, if not the best, meals we've ever had. As much fun as we had having some time to ourselves, we couldn't help but miss Kenadie. We were only gone for a couple of hours, but it seemed weird seeing an empty car base for her seat when we drove to pick her back up.

The wife and I went inside my mother in-law's to pick up the baby, only to find she slept through the entirety of our meal. We probably could've taken her after all, but it's a crap shoot as to whether she'll be hungry or not. It may not have been a good idea considering all the smells in that joint might have made her hungry, and she's opposed to us eating a hot meal. Oh and she's a baby, so she poops a lot.

Even though the meal was excellent and the company even more so, I can't say I let myself enjoy a lot of it with Kenadie not being present. I guess this is parenthood.

"Being a father, well, I don't know if this is a change, but it makes me want to get out of here faster. Get off the clock. Just 'cause the baby is my reason for living, my reason for coming to work."  - Richard Dean Anderson

1 comment:

  1. Oh how sweet! I'm glad you guys got some quality time together.

    ReplyDelete